Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Morning Affair - Reading When you are supposed to be doing chores on a Sunday morning....

I have to say - The first 42 pages of this book have been wildly more amusing than The Great Gatsby!

Chapter I:

When the narrator is describing the Amberson's mansion, how fabulous does this sound: "A ballroom occupied most of the third story, and at one end of it was a carved walnut gallery for the musicians." How I would love to play in there, with the ladies twirling in waltzes of colour.

When describing the Ambersons: "And they eat these olives, too:green things they are, something like a hard plum, but a friend of mine told me they tasted a good deal like a bad hickory-nut. My wife says she's going to buy some; you got to eat nine and then you get to like 'em, she says. Well, I wouldn't eat nine bad hickory-nuts to get to like them, and I'm going to let these olives alone. Kind of a woman's dish, anyway..."

Well, I can say that this woman ain't no fan of a bad hickory-nut! How materialism started in the U.S....keeping up with the Jones'.

Chapter II:


baresark
n another word for berserk 2
(C19: literally: bare shirt)
I love this word, spelled the old way.

Pompous little Georgie Amberson says to the ladies smothering him with adoration: "Oh, go hire a hall!"

Ooohhh...I should use that one on my sister, that would go over well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment