Wednesday, August 26, 2009

At the Liberry....

So, I'm done. Finished number 100 on the board list, The Maginficent Ambersons. Alas, due to a fantastic birthday dinner of Chinese for a friend, I am a little late returning the book, but, for a 30c fine, I'm ok with that.

Tonight, as the pool is closed early unexpectedly, I decided to come to the library early, pick up my hold, and enjoy a tea as I complete my blog on the last book. True, I do have 5 books at home, but that's my style - I like the comfort of the fact that if I happen to finish a book at 3 am, I can then start another one.

I know, I'm crazy.

I just love being surrounded by books. Ideally, I would buy every one of them so I can add them to the library of my future, where I have ladders, a fireplace, and a comfy chair! Alas, I'll go for the free route (until they are overdue, of course). In the meantime, I'll enjoy this massive glass building that sounds like you are in a vacuum...I have been amazed by this building ever since I moved down here. Such light, such erethral quality unlike any new building. I love the way the sunlight streams during the day, and how you can watch people on many floors above you - I like to imagine what they are reading.

The Magnificent Ambersons is a novel that ends with several lasting lessons that have are summarized quickly in the last several pages, as if Booth just couldn't handle ending the book without leaving his legacy of advice to all who would hopefully read his book.

It's telling of the author, when he writes in the last 5 pages, how he states:

"The Ambersons had passed, and the new people would pass, and the new people that came after them, and then the next new ones, and the next - and the next -......'There's nothing in this family business,' George told him confidentially. 'Even George Washington is only something in a book."

The ending is perhaps sad, a character that learns his lessons, but redeems himself some toward the end. Unrequited love and regret reigns supreme, but you go away with a little hope.

I would recommend reading this book for the protaganist, George Amberson Minafor, who is fantastically mocked by the author. The book, although written in 1918, draws many a parallel and offers view points shared by many today on the modern world, and the "pre-automobile" lifestyle. Short, and easy to read. Definitely a fantastic book.

Based on a coworker's suggestion the other day, I've decided to make my own top 100 out of the 400 I am reading. This would definitely be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment