Wednesday, August 26, 2009

AAAACKKK! They Are Ripping My Library Apart!!!


Ok, so they are apparently going under renos, but I feel almost physically affronted to find the returns bin next to the security guard (who also is not a huge fan of the renos which are already apparently 2 weeks late). Will it make it better??? According to him, he is a skeptic as the plans have changed 4 times over the last couple of weeks. We shall see.


Now, onto my next book. I picked up "Loving" by Henry Green, written about the life of domestic servants during WW2 in the English country side. It's got a corny 1980s movie cover of those actors, I suspect. This is number 89 on the board's list.\


There is then Erskine Caldwell's novel "Tobacco Road" about the Lesters, a white family in the early 1930s living around Augusta, Georgia who are destitutely poor, apparently occupied by hunger, sexual longings, and fear they will descend to equate with black families, to sum up the back of the novel. This one is number 91 on the board's list.


Hmmm...


I think it comes down to the first sentence of the book:


Loving: "Once upon a day and old butler called Eldon lay dying in his room attended by the head housemaid, Miss Agatha Burch."


Tobacco Road: "Lov Bensey trudged homeward through the deep white sand of the gully-washed tobacco road with a sack of winter turnips on his back".


Although hard to decided between whom has the best name, either Eldon or Lov, I think I'll go with the Tobacco Road. Lov seems like he belongs in Loving....


No comments:

Post a Comment